Chengdu



Chengdu – October 6-8

When we planned our trip to Chengdu, we had a long list of things we wanted to see. We planned the majority of our vacation to be spent there. Additionally, as we planned, we gave ourselves some “incidental time.” Jordan and I had planned that time to be for things like, wanting to take a relaxing day, or something like that. The plan hadn’t originally been intended for food poisoning “incidental time.” But blessedly, we were able to utilize that time, and put it towards recovering, which was the most important thing to do.

Since we arrived later than expected, and still felt ill, we cut Mount Emei and Mount Qingcheng from our itinerary. This also worked out for the best, as we found out upon arriving, that both of those mountains are incredibly expensive. Instead of trudging up a mountain on a sick stomach, and limited budget, we decided to enjoy exploring the city of Chengdu, and to visit the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding.

Before I go on to talk about how amazing the pandas are, I have a little story to tell about our hostel roommate. While at the hostel, we befriended one of our roommates. This kid really wanted to practice speaking his English, so he talked to Jordan for a long time. It was interesting getting to listen to the development of his English abilities. At the beginning of the discussion, he was very timid with his speaking. By the end of the conversation, he was far more confident in his abilities. Amidst the conversation, we found out that this kid didn’t have an English name, so Jordan offered to give him one. His Chinese name is Hu Guochow (I definitely spelled that wrong). So Jordan named him Hugo, because it sounds somewhat similar. Hugo was so excited to be given such a “cool American name.” Jordan was so patient with Hugo the 27 year-old Chinese guy. Jordan is great with people, especially foreign people. 



On October 7th, we made our way to the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. This place is where you see all of the videos of panda cubs. Naturally, I was super excited to see all of the fuzzy pandas, especially since I’ve never seen one before. Upon reaching the panda center, I was so excited to see that the whole area was decorated in pandas. They had stuffed pandas in the trees, fake pandas climbing on the buildings, panda statues; you name it, they had it.






While at the panda center, we were able to learn about the science behind bringing the pandas back from the verge of extinction. The science behind it all is fascinating. In order to prevent overbreeding, they must alter the DNA of every Giant Panda in utero. Additionally, Giant Pandas only have three days of ovulation per year, so it is no wonder that they are so endangered. Jordan and I still are in awe that the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding singlehandedly brought pandas back from the precipice of extinction. The work that they are doing is absolutely amazing.





The pandas all were so cute. I loved seeing all of them. Pandas are some of the laziest, fattest creatures I’ve ever seen, but I love them. All they want to do is eat a ton of food, and sleep all day. I think I want to be a panda.

While there, we were able to see both Giant Pandas and Red Pandas. Both are amazing. Both have completely different lifestyles. Red Pandas are nimble and quick. They were able to jump through the trees with the grace of a monkey. Giant Pandas on the other hand, trip on their own feet, and fall all the time. Despite their differences, I love them both. Seriously, pandas are amazing.


Our vacation to Beijing, Xi’an, and Chengdu was incredible. We learned so much about different regions of China, and got to experience a wide variety of things. I am so thankful that we were able to see these unbelievable locations. If you had asked me a year ago where I would be, I wouldn’t have thought my answer would be China. I still haven’t quite gotten the grasp on this culture, but slowly I am learning. Each day is full of new opportunities to grow, and I am thankful for it.

Comments

Popular Posts